4.08.2010

Christ's Fruit of the Spirit

So, I have been reading Matthew and when I got to chapter 23 I struggled a little. It is a chapter about the hypocrisy of the Pharisees. They are called blind and fools many times. They do things so others can see, so they look good, and they do things selfishly. They are blind of the things that truly matter to God and don't care enough to figure it out. They are fools for not seeing the great God that is right in front of them.

Sounds like someone I know :(


God hates hypocrites. I know it hurts Him that these leaders are so selfish.
- They pay tithe but they fail to learn justice, faith, and mercy (v. 23)
- They make sure they are clean on the outside of the cup, but inside they are filthy. (v. 25 & 26)

They just don't understand why we were created and I think I'm missing it too. God wants me to worship Him, to care about and praise Him. To follow Him. THE END. He doesn't care about our works if we don't care about Him! Yes, I say I care but how is my life showing it? How are the fruits of the spirit evident in my life??

"I say then, walk in the spirit and you will no fulfill the lust of the flesh. "But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. against such thing there is no law."

Where am I getting my strength from? Am I walking by the strength of Christ alone? Or walking the way I see is right? Denying what I want in everything and truly seeking. What would Jesus do?? After asking myself these questions, I started thinking about the fruits that Christ had in His life. Thinking about the fruits of the spirit in my Savior's life... Because that's what we should be following. The perfect example.

LOVE - Christ showed love by dying, but also by living sacrificially. He thought of others first... ALWAYS!

JOY - Christ rejoices in heaven when one person comes to repentance. He is joyful when we keep His commandments and when we love others as HE loves! (John 15:9-17)

PEACE - Christ prayed to His Father in perfect need of wanting to stay off the cross. He looked to God and therefore he had peace even though it was difficult!

"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you: not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
John 14:27

PATIENCE - Jesus showed patience by forgiving over and over. By explaining to the disciples over and over. He didn't give up because they didn't understand but instead pursued them and prayed for them to His Father.

KINDNESS - Jesus is kind by caring for those in need. He truly listened and talked with kids and adults of all stages of life. He longed to have them understand and saved. He was in agony over the cross but He did it anyway!

"For mountains shall depart and the hills be removed, But my kindness shall not depart from you, Nor shall my covenant of peace be removed, " says the Lord who has mercy on you.'
Isaiah 54:10

GOODNESS - God is good, all the time. HE is without sin. He is always taking others and putting them first. He lived this life whole-heartily for God!

'Why do you call me good? No one is good but One, that is, God...'
Matthew 19:17

FAITHFUL - His word never contradicts itself. He will never leave us. He came to die and He did. He promised to save us and give us eternal life and He is faithful... even when we mock, blaspheme, and hurt Him. Even when we fail, He loves me! :)

"Let us hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful."
Hebrews 10:23

"Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassion's fail not. They are new every morning, Great is your faithfulness."
Lamentations 3:22 & 23

GENTLENESS - Christ is a comforter. He protects and wants us to be as children.

Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."
Matthew 11:29

SELF-CONTROL - When did Christ not have self-control?? He had to hang out with us humans. Not being tempted by the devil in the desert, not coming off the cross, not answering the guards, having a quiet, still heart with all the beatings, not getting frustrated with the people who JUST DIDN'T GET IT!


So you see, Christ gave us the perfect path to follow.. In every area of His life. So, take one step at a time. And follow. I KNOW that we can trust His path. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment