10.15.2013

Introducing Sadie Elisabeth Hunsley


39 weeks

  Drew, Peyton and I headed to my NST/Dr. appointment last Tuesday morning. (Oct 8). We were planning on going to the fair afterwards for Audrey's birthday but Sadie had other plans. The NST showed that while she was moving around a lot, she wasn't having accelerating heartbeats which is important to see. (Because I was on medication for Diabetes they have to make sure that doesn't effect Sadie negatively) Since she wasn't cooperating they did a special sonogram that can show the same things that an NST does. They saw that she was moving, and that she was about 9 lbs, but couldn't see that she was breathing - which is one of the things they want to see. Since my due date was Oct 11, I was full term, and Sadie was definitely big enough, they knew there wasn't anything negative about going ahead and inducing me. There could be complications by waiting - if she indeed isn't breathing well or accelerating, or she gets too big and requires a c-section. So Dr. L told us to go get lunch, grab our bags and he would call the hospital to get me ready for an induction. The fair was off the agenda but having a baby was on! :)



3:00pm - we arrived at the hospital
4:15 - made it to our room. Since they ask all the questions and stuff, they also let me go ahead and eat dinner before they started the meds. 
7:30 - Started me on Cytotek - which was to ripen my cervix. I was dilated about 1-2 cm at this point. Contractions started right away - and within 2-3 minutes from each other!
11:30 - bring on the pain meds! They gave me Stadol and while it made me loopy for about 20 minutes, it didn't really help with the pain. 
12:30 am - they moved me to Labor and Delivery. I had a great nurse - 2 actually - that were wonderfully helpful and I felt like I was hanging out with friends more than the hospital.
1:45 - they gave me morphine for the pain, but I didn't feel like that helped either. 
2:15 - I was positive for Strep B so they started me on Penicillin which I quickly realized I am now allergic to... I got itchy right away so they gave me some benedryl and started me on a different antibiotic.
2:45 - I was 4 cm... sigh...
3:30 - I got my epidural. YAY. I was pretty nervous since I had a bad experience with Peyton but I decided to give it another try, and it was definitely way better!
8:00 - I was 5 cm
12:30pm - I was 5.5 - 6 cm... progressing, but slowly. Shortly after that they started me on Pitocin 
4:05 - my water broke
4:40 - I was 10 cm!!! 
5:15 - my nurse was ready and told me I could start pushing. But once she was ready for me to start she actually saw Sadie's head already and told me to wait while she got the Dr. 
5:30ish - my Dr came in and realized that Sadie was about to fall out. They fumble and try to keep Sadie in while taking apart the bed and getting scrubs on. it was a whirlwind for sure. 
5:48 - I was told I could push but I sat up and Sadie was born. Fastest delivery ever!! :) YAY


Sadie Elisabeth Hunsley
October 9, 2013 at 5:48 pm
8lbs 3 oz and 21 inches long. 


She had to go to the NICU to have her sugars monitored. There was a chance that her sugars could crash since her body was working overtime when she was in me. She was in there for 5 hours but only had 1 high sugar so was brought to the room around 11pm. Her sugar was checked about 3 or 4 other times but everything looked great! Poor baby still has marks on her feet. 


Everything looked great while we were in the hospital, but as we were waiting for the wheelchair to go home, Sadie had a scary moment. She had been coughing up some fluid throughout those two days, but Friday morning she was choking on mucous and it was coming out of her nose. Because of that her airways were blocked and she wasn't breathing. Drew did a great job turning her over and trying to clear her out while I ran out to find a nurse. She was quickly suctioned but because of that they kept us a few more hours so they could run some more blood work - to make sure Sadie didn't have an infection. The labs came back fine and we headed to get Peyton and then made it home around  5pm. I did ride in the back to make sure it didn't happen again - and we have been super aware of her breathing since being home but she hasn't had any issues in a couple days so we think she's all clear!

No comments:

Post a Comment