12.14.2010

Just another Tuesday night... not

USUALLY my Tuesday nights consist of...
getting off at 4:15
cook dinner with Drew
have bible study with some amazing young women 

This Tuesday the plans were...
My wonderful brother in law called wanting to do dinner. Sarah, his girlfriend, was headed back to Canada in the morning for Christmas and we were all going to go to Nathan's basketball game and then have dinner together. I was also going to make cookies before the 5:30 game.

What REALLY happened tonight...
  • I come home from work, get the mail, walk in the house, and calmly pick up the phone, FREAK out and call Drew. "We have a major problem! Water is raining from our kitchen ceiling!"
  • He told me to turn the main water off, but we had a hard time finding it.
  • I immediately call my dad when I hang up with Drew because, well, he knows a lot of stuff. Especially about houses. He is very handy like that. So he came over right away. 
  • Turns out, we have a pipe running from under our kitchen sink, up through the ceiling, and back down into our refrigerator for our ice maker. Yeah, it was squirting out water like a water fountain, for who knows how long. We both left the house at 8:30 this morning it could have been 8 hours.
  • My granddad came over with a carpet cleaner (also extractor) and started helping with that, Drew starting ripping insulation out of the attic. Dad and I headed to Lowes to buy more. 
  • Once we got back, we were debating about whether to talk to insurance. We have a certain deductable, is it worth trying to fix on our own and then risking mold or something else to be wrong? Do we pay the people and then realize it was probably unnecessary?
  • Once Drew and I saw that our kitchen table is spotted, and the grout on our tiles turned pink (the water from the ceiling was pink, I'm guessing insulation?) we decided to go ahead and pay our deductable so we would have to waste hours, and money, and then possibly still need to get something fixed later on. 
  • So that's why I'm still up, because there are men in our house soaking up our carpets and setting furniture on blocks
The Damage - upstairs and down
Soaked carpet
stained ceilings
speckled kitchen table
pink grout on our tiles in the kitchen
wet insulation

The Blessings
My camera, although in the kitchen, remained dry
it did not happen while we were gone to NY for a week 
We will probably still be able to go to NY (anniversary trip), hopefully 
We had unexpected guests drop by for a visit. They make us happy. :)

Pictures to come later. The nice guys left, and I'm freezing and sleepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment