4.15.2011

WICKED sweet...

It has been four whole months since I had a taste of the magical world that is called Broadway. I still think about it. I still listen to the soundtrack in the car pretty much non-stop. I can still see everything playing out as I listen to said soundtrack.

I think it deserves it's own post don't you? I'm glad we agree.

For those of you that don't know, which I think that is most of you unless I have talked to you, I want to tell you what the musical is about.

When watching the Wizard of Oz, I'm sure all of you stayed away from thinking nice and fluffy thoughts about the wicked witch. By just hearing the title of her name you want to run. We don't like associating with the wicked. WAYELL......

'Wicked' is all about the two witches of Oz. How they used to be friends. It shows how they met and how the 'good' witch was a spoiled, rich, popular, goody-two-shoes. The 'wicked' witch got treated differently because she was born green. She was loved less and her dream was for the Wizard to change her skin color to something normal. She also wanted to save the animals that were being forced to stop talking. Doesn't sound like a very wicked person does it? I didn't think so either. From the get-go Drew and I both liked Alphaba (the 'wicked' witch) better than Glenda (the 'good' witch). Although in the end I liked them both. This song depicts their relationship at the end. Not all the words are there, but I can think of a couple of friends I could say this about.

(Glinda) I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good

(Elphaba) It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...

Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you

(Glinda) Because I knew you

(Both) I have been changed for good

(Elphaba) And just to clear the air
I ask forgiveness
For the thing I've done you blame me for

(Glinda) But then, I guess we know
There's blame to share

(Both) And none of it seems to matter anymore

(Both) Because I knew you...
I have been changed for good. 

No good deed goes unpunished. It's true. Time and time again Alphaba tried to do what was right and in the end... we'll people try to melt her and a house falls on her head. Tragic really. Until you see the play (or I guess read the book, but I've heard mixed things about it so I'm not recommending it) you will never know whether that is the end of the dear wicked witch, or whether she lives that fateful day when Dorothy knocks her out. This song "No Good Deed" is basically her decision to become 'wicked'. Here are a few of the words.

No good deed goes unpunished
no act of charity goes unresented
no good deed goes unpunished
that's my new creed
my road of good intentions
lead where such roads always lead
no good deed
goes unpunished


One question haunts and hurts
too much too much to mention
was I really seeking good
or just seeking attention
is that all good deeds are
when looked at with an ice-cold eye
if that's all good deeds are
maybe that's the reason why


No good deed goes unpunished
all helpful urges should be circumvented
no good deed goes unpunished
sure I meant well
well look at what well meant did
all right enough so be it
so be it then
let all OZ be agreed
i'm wicked through and through
since i can not succeed Fiyero saving you
I promise no good deed
will I attempt to do
again
ever again
no good deed
will I do
again! 

I seriously almost cried when I heard this song. A girl so misunderstood that her good deeds end up biting her in the... rear. Anyway, I know it's just a story, and I'm not a fan of witch craft, but I just loved hearing the back-story to one of the classic movies we all watched growing up! So now you know.

1 comment:

  1. Fun, informative, and meaningful blog, Drew and Kari! By the way, you are the winner of the gift certificate to Starbucks!

    Shoot me your mailing address (via FB message) and I will get this in the mail to you.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete